Journal 2: The Studio as Ritual Space

    This week I experienced my second ever yoga class via Zoom. The yoga instructor had the camera set up at an eye-level so that it was easy to see every movement clearly. This yoga instructor taught alone with no one else in the studio with her. The environment was pretty similar to the last yoga class's I attended. There were plants in the background and all the windows were open allowing sunlight to shine in and light up the whole studio. It was peaceful and calming.

    What makes my practice space a "sacred space" is it being completely silent. The only noise to be heard is the instructors voice explaining what to do. Having lots of windows with sunlight pouring in. I like there being plants and greenery in the room as well. Pictures of nature around the studio is calming as well.

    The rules that are to be followed to make my practice space a "sacred space" are that everyone is quiet and allows the instructor to speak. There should not be any interruptions like cell phones going off or anything like that. The time spent while performing yoga should be uninterrupted and focused. I feel that other aspects that create an opportunity for ritual experience are clearing one's mind and leaving all stresses and worries at the door before entering a yoga studio or performing yoga. I feel that being focused on the movements and clearing the mind is a better way for gaining ritual experience. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Journal 3: Yoga as Physical Culture

My First Yoga Class

Journal 4: Practice as Rtiual